Iron is one of the vital minerals in the human’s body, so low or insufficient levels of this mineral will cause complications in your overall health.
Basically, here’s what happens when you have lack of iron: in this condition your body is unable to produce enough hemoglobin, and hemoglobin is the part of erythrocytes that is responsible for carrying oxygenated blood to your cells and tissues. When your body’s tissues and muscles don’t get enough oxygen, they are not able to function properly.
Although you may not notice this at the beginning as iron deficiency anemia can be mild at the beginning, its symptoms can intensify over time.
Iron Deficiency Symptoms
- Fatigue and weakness
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
- Cold hands and feet
- Brittle nails
- Fast heartbeat
- Soreness or inflammation of the tongue
- Poor appetite
- Shortness of breath
Causes of Iron Deficiency Anemia
1. Heavy period – losing blood during heavy periods means loss of erythrocytes, and as iron is part of erythrocytes this would mean loss of iron.
2. Diet low in iron – if your diet doesn’t include foods high in iron, you can gradually develop iron deficiency anemia. To prevent this, and improve your iron levels, consume iron-rich foods like leafy green veggies, eggs, meat, and iron-fortified foods.
3. Slow, chronic blood loss – from colon polyp, hiatal hernia, peptic ulcer, colorectal cancer, etc.
4. Pregnancy – pregnant women must take iron supplementation as their iron stores need to provide hemoglobin for their growing fetus.
5. Celiac Disease – some intestinal disorders can affect the ability of intestines to absorb nutrients from digested food, including iron. Celiac disease and surgically removed part of the small intestine are some of these iron-deficiency causing conditions.
Home Remedy for Iron Deficiency Anemia
Prepare this quick and simple home remedy with several natural ingredients to improve your iron levels in a very short time.
- 1 kg. raw honey
- 250 gr. minced walnuts
- 250 gr. minced almonds
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 100 gr. nettle seeds
Preparation & Method of Use
Just mix all ingredients together using a wooden spoon. That’s it. Your homemade remedy for improving your iron levels is ready. Consume one teaspoon of the mixture on an empty stomach in the morning, and another one in the evening. Expect improvements in your iron levels in a short period of time.