The number of people suffering from neck and back pain has dramatically increased in the past few years. This is mostly due to prolonged sitting and bad posture when working an office job, or as a result of the modern everyday way of living which includes hours and hours on our laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
Other causes of neck and back pain include aging, folded back, damaged vertebrae, injury, hernia disc, stenosis, strained muscles, carrying heavy loads, reading in bed, etc.
Stiff neck and aching back leads to heavy muscles as well as muscle cramps.
Nevertheless, in most cases, even a magnetic resonance can’t help to determine the root cause of back pain.The pain can last for few weeks and disappear suddenly, or in cases of chronic back pain, it can stay for a lot longer if not properly treated.
Here are several tips to help reduce your back pain:
- Avoid sitting for a longer period, or if you must, do pauses every hour to move around
- Do exercises and stretches for neck and back pain relief
- Make sure you change your mattress every five years
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach, and try other sleeping poses
- Go for a long walk, or run at least few times a week. Also, you can try hiking
- Avoid lifting heavy objects to prevent further damage or injury to the joints and spine
- You must learn how to lift babies and children properly to avoid possible injury that can further worsen your back pain. Take your kid with both arms, crouch slowly and lift with your thighs and not back.
- Bend at the knees when lifting bags, and other heavy objects
You must pay attention to your shoulders as well, as they can too be damaged. Your neck and back pain can be accompanied or worsen by shoulder pain caused by the following factors.
Causes of Shoulder Pain
- Fractured bone on hand
- Stiff shoulders
- Unstable joints
If your neck pain lasts for four months or longer it can be caused by:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Damaged neck parts like ligaments, tendons, and muscles
- Sitting or walking with poor posture
- Bad sleeping poses
Tips to Help Relieve Neck Pain
- Try relaxing with meditation, yoga, listening to music to relax and relieve stress. See what works best for you.
- Massage your neck area
- Do cold and hot compresses every few hours
- Make sure you move around every hour if working an office job
- Do regular exercises and stretches for neck pain relief
- Change your sleeping position to see what’s best for you, but make sure you don’t sleep with curved spine
- Choose feather or memory foam pillow, instead of high and hard pillow