This Christmas, surprise your guests and family with a perfect alternative to the classic roast, especially if you’re vegan or vegetarian. This zesty, spiced cauliflower will amaze you with its rich flavors and wonderful smell.
Before reading how to make this recipe, check out some of the best health benefits of cauliflower – the main ingredient of this recipe.
Cauliflower Health Benefits
Being high in B vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, phytonutrients, choline, and many other nutrients, this cruciferous veggie provides the following health benefits:
- Helps with weight loss, satiety, healthy digestive tract
- Boosts learning and cognitive functions, as well as memory
- Protects from cancer
- Improves bone health, thus preventing osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Improves blood pressure
- Improves kidney function
- Boosts heart health
Recipe for Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 large (1kg or 2.2 lbs) cauliflower, with outer leaves left on
- Half a small bunch fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 oz (40g) flaked almonds
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Half a bunch fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Process pepper, salt, garlic, thyme, lemon zest, paprika, and olive oil in a food processor. Take the large cauliflower, and trim the outer leaves. Then, remove the stalk to enable the cauliflower sit flat.
After you do this, cut a cross into the base, and use the paprika paste to rub it all over, and then squeeze the lemon juice on top. Put it in a medium casserole pan, and bake until tender, or for around an hour.
In the meantime, place a medium-sized frying pan over a medium-low heat, and add the almonds. Toast for around two minutes, or until golden. Allow them to cool, and then crush them over the ready cauliflower.
Finally, chop some parsley leaves and garnish on top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and your whole roasted cauliflower is ready. Consume it as part of a big spread or with pilaf rice and steamed greens. Enjoy!